What the...

What the...

Oct 12, 2013

Getting to know an idea: flying elk

I have come to realize that in order to do some drawings, I first need ot get to know my subject.  At age 32 this seems a bit late to be understanding this idea, but we all bloom at different rates I guess.

I was asked to draw a flying elk.  So, I started to research wings and elk and got a few references in order and I did this sketch:
 Elk sketch 1

Then I did this sketch:
Elk sketch 2

Clearly the second one is the better of the two and it happened because I first got to know and became comfortable with elks and wings via the first sketch.  This is the one I want to transfer to good paper and make a finished piece of art.

The elk is not flying per se, but it does have wings now and that counts well enough, doesn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment